Thursday 12 July 2007

Born of a natural gardener

On gardening!
Born of a natural gardener

I turn over the soil,
Mow the lawn,
Pull up the weeds,
It makes me yawn.

I cut back shrubs
My hands I prick.
What the hell makes
A gardener tick?

Many an insect
Are ready to bit
And big creepy crawlies
Are out there to fright.

Don't know the difference
Between weeds and a flower,
To plant one and grow one
I've not got that power.

I look at my garden
sit here and sigh
The sun shines down-
A big blue sky.

It's time again
To go and do war
Why is it only me
That finds it a chore?

Re cut the grass,
Work up a sweat,
Wish it were winter
Wish it were wet.

Rake up the cutting
Turn over the soil
Very therapeutic
Labour and toil!

Dear Mum and Dad,
I can't be like you,
But if you're looking down -

The gardens' still askew!


Copyright Linda Lawrence
22nd April 1995

1 comment:

Ray said...

Think this speaks for itself! Luckily, we now have only grass to mow!