Sunday 8 July 2007

A handful of creeepy crawlies!

In a 'Creepy Crawly' mood, here's a handful of odes for Gods' little creatures! A true phobia here, but I was rewarded when it got published!

Mosquito

Bloody Mozzie parasite
Keeping me awake at night.
Buzz around my night light
To satisfy your appetite.

Keep taking antihistamine
For the scratching, itching, bleeding.
Seep your poison in my skin
You really are disgusting.

You've bitten my toe, my arm, my leg,
My shin, my back, my neck and head,
My eye, my thigh, now you must be well fed
As I lay scratching drawing blood in bed.

Damn you how I want you splat!
Red and Brown fed and fat.
Squashed upon my ceiling flat
You've left me ugly marks, fucking Gnat.


Copyright Linda Lawrence
September 2005

It WAS Panic

The palpitations from my heart
Fuck! You gave me such a start.
I find you very frightening
Can't you see the plight I'm in?

The buzzing seems to fill my head
My body fills up with such dread
Your humming makes my pulse race
For you, I cannot seem to face.

I'm bigger, better, smarter than you
But so scared of all the things you do
If you come near I scream and shout
Use strategy to put you out.

My veins pumped full of adrenaline
This phobia of you, tiny thing
Can't see the point of your existing
The fear from you, your painful sting.

Fermented apple, drunk and blind
Head dive in my glass of wine,
Stripy body yellow and black
Not ready for this wasp attack.


Copyright Linda Lawrence
April 2003


Just Cleaning up

Cleaned up my bathroom today thinking you were dirt,
Realised too late you were too fragile and didn't intend to hurt.
You were only here for a while, didn't want to cut it short,
I thought of all the other giants you stood up to and have fought.

I know you didn't like them my friend, hovering around your head,
But she was only flying to salvation, towards the light instead.
If only I had the power to give you a brighter moon,
Maybe your quality of life could be better and didn't end so soon.

Mother nature made you pretty with your colourful markings,
The gentle way you flap with your tiny little wings.
One of Gods' little creatures, minuscule thing,
And that I didn't see you, I have tears in my eyes that sting.

Sorry little insect you were on my wooden floor,
I didn't see you near the bathroom scales just behind the door.
I cleaned up today, swiped you away with dirty yellow cloth,
You deserved a longer life on earth minute little Moth.


Copyright Linda Lawrence
23rd August 2006


Gods' little creatures

How can we be frightened of Spiders?
We are so much bigger than they!
How can we suck them up in the vacuum
When they catch nasty bugs for their prey?

How can we be cruel of their eight little legs?
They don't do us any harm!
At worse, they would wriggle and tickle,
Have you ever held one in your palm?

Have you ever seen a Tarantula?
Tiny animals with a body of hair.
They don't bother us if we don't bother them
We should look after them with our care.

Why do we pull the legs off a Daddy?
When all they do is fly!
She's not going to sting or bite us
So we've got to ask ourselves why?

Yet we stamp on them with horror
When all they do is good,
And scream at them in terror,
Do you really think we should?

We're as tall as a might tower to them
Even the biggest to us are minute.
So why don't you make friends' with a Spider?
They really are quite cute!

When they invite themselves in from the cold
Why don't you give them a name?
Let them get on with their useful tasks
And never hurt a Spider again.

Copyright Linda Lawrence
20th May 2005



Honey Bee
I saw a little Honey Bee
Ensnared in web upon my apple tree
Sorry little Spider......
I knew it had to be set free
Before the eight legged creature
Ate it for its tea!

Round and round the Spider spun
While the poor little tortured creature hung
And as it struggled and fought for all its' worth
I grabbed a stick from the earth.

Why don't you catch some Wasps instead?
(The very beasts I so much dread)
They're the ones that should be dead!

Armed with my stick and tip toe on a chair
To reach the insect trapped in this lair
It was then the Spider last its' grip -
A momentary lapse and let it slip!
I then fell onto the dirt -
Cut my leg and ripped my skirt
And when the dazed bees' fight begun;
Stright towards my head - it stung!
And as my lip began to swell
It starts to throb and hurts like hell.

I'm very sorry Mother Nature,
But at times I fucking hate ya!

Copyright Linda Lawrence

22nd September 2007

1 comment:

Joseph said...

I like these poems about creeeeepy crawlies, but I do not know why Mum is so frightened of Wasps!