Tuesday 21 January 2020

Lessons learnt!


Lessons learnt!


There has been over time so many lessons learnt,
Time and time again, getting my fingers burnt!
Forward planning, making moves, feeling so much tension               Listening to what you’ve said but felt the apprehension.

Over time and several months, it’s been a learning curve,
There have been some moments when I’ve lost my nerve!
Trying to defend myself and then you’ve got me trapped.
Wondering how on earth I’m ever going to adapt.

There have been moments I have made mistakes;
It’s what you’ve relied on, causing me headaches!
And on umpteenth occasions, I’ve just weakly retreated,
Numerous times I have lost the fight feeling quite depleted.

I didn’t see that coming, from the other side -
Was trying to do the right thing, now you’ve hurt my pride!
One fatal act that took my strongest power
All I wanted to do after your move was just give up and cower!

There have been instances I’ve been in precarious positions.
Feel like I need more time, maybe more tuition?
Slipping up, another blunder, losing a precious piece;
A good opportunity for you, now my chances have decreased.

It’s been worth the struggle and such a lengthily wait
Now you’re stuck instead of me and you are in CHECKMATE!
Got you cornered, now your kings’ not got a chance
And after many weeks and months - I have advanced!

I have tried hard for so long, made attempts to fight you back
Now I’ve found a strategy of my own to readily attack!
It’s been a game of wills with a great deal of anticipation
Now I’ve won my first game of chess with so much elation!

Copyright Linda Lawrence
19th January 2020


No comments: