Sunday 12 March 2017

Progress!

Progress

I buy most of my clothes from charity shops;
It’s like a compulsion, I just cannot stop!
Of garments, there are rows and rows
What people wore, with much loved clothes.

Some colourful dresses, now who wore that?
A wedding outfit, complete with hat!
It fits like a glove, this winter coat
And tucked in the pocket, a five pound note!

I just popped in to make a donation
But had to give in to my temptation!
Came home with more than I handed down,
There are generous people in my home town.

But wonder who gave them, had they passed?
I paid for an item and hated to ask.
Or maybe someone who had just got bored
And needed more room and wanted to store.

Or was it because it just didn’t quite fit
(Don’t want to sound like a hypocrite)
And this top here is a counterfeit -
But who cares because I like and want it!

Or some little people that have grown tall;
A picturesque drawing to hang on the wall.
Outgrown a game and a much used football;
A little girl once played with her Barbie doll.

It’s not just clothes I like to look through,
There are many films to watch and get into.
Like the person that gave, got lost in a tale,
Cried tears, like they did, at the sad detail.

Some puzzles that have entertained;
A blanket with a little stain
Curtains with a colour to match;
Gardening tools for a flower patch!

Old LP records, once cherished and played;
The sleeves, they are a little frayed,
Now for sale in a box for me to peruse
And wondered who got into the groove!

The books that many authors wrote,
The love stories or crimes cutthroat!
The thoughts of such great imagination;
My mind is full of illustration.

The ornaments that adorned a dwelling
Why did they give them, there’s no way of telling!
So now it lives on my window ledge
And pleased that I’ve helped to make a pledge.

A penny here, a pound well spent,
To help towards some great event,
To help others who are not so blessed
It’s good to know I’ve helped with progress.


Copyright Linda Lawrence

12th March 2017

No comments: