Saturday 19 September 2020

It won't be killed off!

 

It won’t be killed off!

 

I said ‘please don’t buy me a plant

I tend to overfeed or forget’

The friend who did not want to marry

She said ‘don’t worry they live off neglect’.

 

And for one of my special birthdays

A beautiful selection of cactus;

From far away land and desert

I really felt so out of practice!

 

‘But I’ve killed off plants of spider

The most stoic of plants on this land’

She said to ‘talk to it nicely -

It needs sun and water beforehand’.

 

It really was twee to start off with

Some with flowers, some not,

Made sure it was watered weekly

And kept it somewhere hot.

 

Its’ lived in three different houses -

If only it could chat!

It’s seen two children grow up

With a mixture of kittens and cats!

 

It knows of my broken marriage,

It’s seen some smiles and tears,

It’s seen success and failure -

So much over these thirty years!

 

Got to say it now looks phallic

Grown huge and had many repottings

Not easy with so many pricks;

A lengthy bit fell off that was rotting.

 

It really won’t be killed off,

It is so hardy and strong!

We’ve had to cut it down now -

It really did get much too long!

 

Thank you, my friend, for your gift

I knew it was bought in jest

And just like our friendship so long ago

I know we’ve all been blessed.

 

My friend she finally married

She’s happy and I am now too!

The house the plant now lives in

And all that we’ve been through.

 

Copyright Linda Lawrence

 

19th September 2020

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments: